On 21st November, 2017, Hon’ble Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh N. Chandrababu Naidu launched the Andhra Pradesh State Energy Calculator 2050 (APSEC-2050).
APSEC-2050 is a first-of-its-kind web-enabled energy calculator created specifically for the state of Andhra Pradesh and is based on the national energy calculator – IESS 2047 created by NITI Aayog and supported by British High Commission.
The Model has been developed by ICF Consulting. Our partners in Knowledge and Capacity Building in this endeavour are FICCI & EPIC-India.
APSEC 2050 is a comprehensive, easy to use and open source tool that enables energy sector planning. The model comprehensively covers all sectors that impact energy –either as demand sector or as supply sectors. These scenarios are generated in light of economic growth, structural changes, and adoption of technology interventions. APSEC-2050 has the capability to aggregate both the energy demand and supply choices provided by the user.
This is an IT-enabled webtool, backed by a detailed, open-source excel model, which offers user-friendly graphic representations of the energy demand and supply scenarios for the state. The user can witness implications of options selected on a cost to the economy, greenhouse emissions, electricity imports/ exports and land requirements.
The calculator allows the users to see the impact of the choices/ policies made across all these different sectors in a consolidated manner. The impact is seen in terms of certain key macro parameters such as an impact on emissions, energy cost and the land requirement for the chosen policy/ chosen path. The salient features of APSEC 2050 are:
- It is a tool that captures all sectors that impact energy demand or supply
- Allows policymakers to visualize the tradeoffs between different choices in energy
- Is “Open Source” – anyone can use and improve it
- Can help align public opinion with Government view on key policies
- Can assist both near-term and really long-term planning (2050)
The tool can be accessed at https://www.apeasternpower.com/
Way forward as envisioned by NITI Aayog
- State Government
- Launch the tool and promote use in Government Planning departments
- Universities and Institutes
- Can use the tool in their energy courses
- Train students to think about energy planning
- Civil Society
- Assess wider impact of energy policy on environment & socio-economic indicators
- Engage with the government in constructive dialogue
- Use the tool to assist Government in planning
- Robust development of the Tool to include other areas that impact development & policy making.