The Energy Vertical within NITI Aayog comprises of five units; Power, Coal, Petroleum and Gas, Renewable Energy and International Cooperation (related to energy policy). Together these units review the energy situation in the country within the context of the national goals of raising the energy parameters of the citizens of this country on one side, and striking a balance with the global energy developments and rising environmental concerns on the other. The vertical looks at India’s energy options in an integrated manner and proposes policies that would make the energy sector efficient and ensure energy security.
Roles and Functions of the Energy & International Cooperation Vertical
- 1. Project Analysis and Project Evaluation
- Examination of various project proposals for Standing Finance Committee/Expenditure Finance Committee’s consideration and investment policy issues for energy sector projects.
- Examination of DPRs related to generation, transmission and distribution of power sector and furnishing comments on technical and financial feasibility.
- Examination of PIB proposal of energy sector projects and furnishing comments on technical and financial feasibility.
- Examination of cabinet notes on energy sector for Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs(CCEA) approval.
- 2. Designing strategic and long-term policy and programmes
- Planning and designing strategic for Renewable Energy Road Map - 2030 for the States.
- Monitoring and designing strategic and long-term policy for 100% village and household electrification under the rural electrification scheme (Dean Dayal Upadhayay Gram Jyoti Yojana) of Ministry of Power.
- Monitoring and designing strategic and long-term policies for sustainable development of power sector through various schemes - IPDS, UDAY, NEF, PSDF etc. of Ministry of Power.
- Providing inputs for formulation of policies/regulation in development of electrical power industry keeping in the view of efficiency in energy extraction, conversion, transportation and utilization.
- 3. Project Appraisals for Loan tie-up from Multilateral Institution (i.e. World Bank, ADB, BRICS New Bank etc.)
- Examination of power sector projects on generation, transmission & distribution and furnishing comments on technical and financial feasibility for loan & grant tie-up with multilateral institution (i.e. World Bank, ADB, BRICS New Bank etc.) for Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance.
- 4. Infrastructure Review by Prime Minister
- Provide inputs related to energy sector for outcome based infrastructure level-II review meeting chaired by Prime Minister of India.
- Providing inputs related to outcome – output based budgeting of the Ministry of Power, Coal, Renewable Energy, Petroleum & Natural Gas and Department of Atomic Energy, to Ministry of Finance.
- 5. Coordination with Ministries & States
- Coordination with Ministry of Power, Central Electricity Authority, Bureau of Energy Efficiency, Ministry of New & Renewable Energy, IRDA, NTPC, NHPC, NEPCO, BHEL, REC, PFC, State Utilities, FICCI and CII for policy initiative for power sector and sustainable supply of electricity.
- Coordination with Ministry of Coal, Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Resources, ONGC and GAIL for sustainable fuel supply for the electricity generation & policy formulation on the fuel supply for power sector.